Saturday, 4 January 2014

2013 Beauty Favourites- Skin Care

My skin and I had a fairly turbulent relationship in 2014. It couldn't seem to decide which 'type' it wanted to be: going from dry to oily to combination continuously all year. I tried to maintain a consistent skin care routine in order to combat it but this only seemed to make the radical swings worse and in fact the whole routine needed serious consideration. So along the year I have tried and tested with much conviction, giving each product a proper chance before replacing it. I have taken it back to basics and then built up a collection of products that my skin likes. I've learnt a lot about my skin, i've learnt that it is far more sensitive than I ever realised and whilst it still isn't completely settled I feel like the weird journey is less tedious that last winter. 

So with that in mind, here are the essentials that I have gathered over the last year. 

I was given a sample of this to try in June and I absolutely fell in love with it, it is a gentle exfoliator which you apply to dry skin and rub until you feel all the dead skin cells lift off your face and ball up. It also gently removes blackheads and tightens pores. I love it as it is such a satisfying product to use and is so gentle, unlike many other exfoliators on the market.

Well known for their brilliant spas, Champneys also have a really nice skin care range. I have tried quite a few serums, some very high end and others which are cheaper, this is one of the cheaper that I have tried and it is my absolute favourite. It smells amazing and has really helped settle my skin down and has improved the overall appearance of my skin.

Being really pale, it is really important for me to use really high factor skin care. This was my absolute favourite in the summer and came with me on day trips and to festivals and I didn't get burnt at all. It also did not make my skin clogged up, shiny or greasy, I simply applied in the morning and topped up throughout the day without noticing I had it on at all. 

I don't break out often, but when I do I feel highly self conscious, As soon as I notice a blemish I just pop on some of this and overnight it is considerably better. This really is a marvel product, although can by drying if it is over used.

Moisturiser is something that I just have not managed to settle on this year, there hasn't been a standout day cream for me at all as nothing has seemed to work as I would hope so I have tried a couple. However this night cream has remained a favourite all year, it is thick but it does not weigh the skin down or leave it greasy. And it smells incredible. 


Avene Eau Thermale Spray- £6.50
In the summer I was never far from my Avene, it kept oil production under control and helped me to keep cool on sticky days (which we had a lot of!) Although this sort of product could be seen as unnecessary I really enjoyed using it and will start using it again in the spring.

Nuxe RĂªve de Miel Ultra-Nourishing Lip Balm - £9.50
A cult favourite for a reason, this lip balm is thick but not sticky with incredible wear time and is so nourishing. My lips feel like they get long lasting treatment rather than a quick fix and it smells incredible.

Nuxe Oil Huile Prodigieuse Multi Use Dry Oil -£28.00
My other favourite from Nuxe is this dry oil, I really dislike thick body creams as I hate being sticky and cold after application in the winter. With the multi use dry oil it sinks straight in and actually seems to warm up as you apply it. It also has an amazing smell which lasts all day.

Caudalie Beauty Elixir- £11.50 for 30ml
The last of the french products, the beauty elixir is a facial spray which has a range of uses, I spray it on before I apply my makeup and it gives the skin a burst of freshness whilst tightening pores which makes makeup apply more evenly and last all day. It also has done a great job of calming my skin and is a handbag favourite for midday pick me up. 

What were your favourite skin care buys of 2013? Is there anything you are looking forward to trying in 2014? 








19 comments:

  1. You're baaack. Happy New Year lovely, hope you enjoyed the festive period! I was up in Cheltenham a few weeks back but didn't think to see if you were about, I'll be up again within the next month or so though!
    Some lovely choices, I'm also a fan of Huile Prodigieuse.
    Mel xx

    melswallofmirrors.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving me a much needed kick up the bum, I'm really enjoying being back! I had a wonderful christmas thank you, I hope you did too? Looking forward to seeing you soon! xxx

      Delete
  2. OOh some fab products there and with all these mentions of Nuxe, I feel like I am missing out x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly once you've tried it you won't look back, it is delightful! x

      Delete
  3. This post is great~ I'm planning to get new skincare products for my skin soon for the new year but have been struggling to find new products to try. This is really helpful and i am planning to purchase the Caudalie beauty elixer and maybe try out Nuxe products too because i have read some good reviews about this brand.

    Thank you for sharing. I just found your lovely blog :) New follower~
    Hope to read more posts from you~ Have a great day!

    Ying ♥
    *- YingcBeauty-*
    X x X x X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new year is a great time to start your skin care routing again- I would definitely recommend the french brands as a good starting point :) Thank you for following!! x

      Delete
  4. Great post :) I haven't decided on any New Years resolutions but I was thinking that one should probably be finding a good skincare routine. The trouble is I've tried loads of products but I'm just really bad at sticking to a routine so I don't know which ones actually work well for me!
    Happy New Year! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Definitely make skin care a priority, we only get one face after all. I would say that trying loads is never a good idea, strip it back to basics & find a cleanser and moisturiser that you like- visit a counter to get help with finding your skin type etc. Then you can build from there :) x

      Delete
  5. I'm glad it's not just me with horribly temperamental skin! The Dr Organic Night Cream sounds gorgeous, I love coconut products :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous, and great if you do have temperamental skin as coconut is great at soothing and repairing :) x

      Delete
  6. The only one of these products I've tried is the Caudalie Beauty Elixir and to be honest I don't get the appeal of it. I think it smells really strange, I hate spraying it on my face because it always makes me jump even though I'm expecting it and when I tried it again a couple of nights ago I got this strange 'fresh' feeling in my eyes (I did spray it with my eyes closed!). But a lot of people appear to love it so it must just be me!

    Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty elixir does seem to get a mix of reviews, it does smell weird doesn't it... sort of like wee, I think the peppermint is a little too intense. have you tried spraying it onto a cotton pad and then wiping your face with it? xxx

      Delete
  7. I really want to try the Nuxe lip balm, everyone seems to love it! I have waaayyyy too many lip balms though, I should try and work through them!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it, I know you will love it! I seem to have loads of lip balms as well, I think we should make an effort this year to cut down on the amount we have :) x

      Delete
  8. I still really want to try the Caudalie spray!

    Stephanie
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/3436251/hope-freedom-love
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the 30ml bottle to try it out, it does seem to get a mix of reviews! x

      Delete
  9. mesotherapy treatment gurgaon provides detailed information about mesotherapy treatment, cost of mesotherapy mesotherapy injections and more.

    ReplyDelete

  10. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about Botox Injection, Skin Peel Treatment and Mesotherapy Facial. Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete

  11. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about Mesotherapy Facial, Best

    Treatment For Hair Loss and Skin Peel Treatment. Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a comment, I don't bite!