Monday, 12 November 2012

I was not born a beauty.


At school, you have so many different types of girls. To quote Mean Girls: 'You got your freshmen, ROTC guys, preps, J.V. jocks, Asian nerds, Cool Asians, Varsity jocks Unfriendly black hotties, Girls who eat their feelings, Girls who don't eat anything, Desperate wannabes, Burnouts, Sexually active band geeks, The greatest people you will ever meet and the worst'. And we all already know that school was a bit of a battle ground. 

I was quite shy. People never seem to believe this when they meet me, as I tend accidently chat none stop & impress my opinion rather strongly onto other people. But I really was quite shy at school. I disliked our school 'plastics' the girls who would literally plaster on their orange foundation and thick black eye liner with a trowel (incidently about 95% of these girls had babies when they were 16-18). I definitely wasn't one of them. I just wasn't a makeup girl. I didn't want to get up super early to layer up mascara and apply foundation on to my lips, something which I still don't understand, do they not want to look like they have a mouth?!

Instead, I woke up ten minutes before I was due to leave, wore lip balm and maybe a coat of mascara, if I could be bothered. Now, some things never change & I still get up about ten minutes before I am due to leave the house... which I get occasionally teased about in the office. But now in the mornings I frantically swear under my breath and try and put my face on in record time (or you know... am 5 minutes late). 

Something changed when I was about 18 and all of a sudden I became mystified by makeup, I wanted to test and trial and see what I could explore. My first 'expensive' makeup was a tube of Bourjois foundation. It had a brush on the top and you had to click the foundation through the brush. I never washed that brush either. It was so clogged with foundation it was solid, but I adored it. I stayed with this more bargainous choice for a while (although at the time I really did think it was the height of expense. I think if I discovered the luxury items back then, I would have had a heart attack at the price). I once bought a tube of green concealer, to balance out my rosy cheeks, I got a bit carried away and always covered my entire face in it under foundation.It just did not suit me, I had the slight green tinge of someone about to be horrifically sea sick and it just drained me. I had awful pale face, went through the tube in about 3 weeks, got some horrific spots and realised I looked like a poorly ghost. I didn't repurchase.

 Unbeknown to me, there was a whole world to discover that I was yet to expore. 

This time 3 years ago I was a 'one of some things none of others' kind of girl. one mascara, one foundation, one eyeshadow pallette, no blusher, no delicate power for my eyebrows, no setting power. But slowly I began to learn... I began to look past pretty packaging and slogans & I started looking for reviews, key ingredients and samples. Very quickly I learnt a great lot. I've bought some duds along the way (benefit that gal- i'm looking at you) and accidently discovered some incredible items (urban decay supercurl mascara, never leave me) there are some things that I have discovered as a result of some serious blogging hype (real techniques brushes... does anyone not have them?!).  Every purchase has been an adventure. 

It came to a head in the spring. After collecting key items and expensive bits for about 18 months, I boarded a plane to America. I was in a fairly maudlin mood anyway due to several factors and I decided I needed a treat. I blew $350 in Sephora. It was a beautiful, beautiful moment.


I have been called an 'airhead' for being interested in makeup. I have been told that I waste my money on 'crap'. I have had people look at me with disbelief when I tell them my blusher palette cost 40 quid. I have had close friends from school say to me: 'but why?! you never used to be interested in this! you've changed Poppy'. 

I have changed, they're right. I wash my brushes now. I have more money as a result of not being at school and being at work. I have more knowledge to apply to what I buy and I am no longer wasting money on products that do not work, or do not suit me. Maybe my habit of spending 100-250 a month on makeup will die out again but until then I endevour to surround myself with glorious soft brushes, silky powders and thick creams. To revel in a hobby that I never actually knew existed & to try and help others source products that they appreciate (and to keep the brownie guide law). 

Or maybe I'm just a typical girl who likes to spoil herself and is completely suckered in by the compliments you get from the MUA and the little paper bags filled with goodies they send you away with? Who knows. Lets just enjoy the ride and keep buying all the 'crap'.

Maybe next time i'll be one of the sexually active band geeks. 

18 comments:

  1. This post was amazing to read. I was never interested in makeup either until I discovered mascara and eyeliner and became the girl with spider leg lashes. Whilst I've definitely toned it down now, I'll always be grateful that I discovered those products and the confidence that they provided me with. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey girl, I've personally never had the patience to carefully comb layer after layer of mascara onto my lashes, so have always still with a quick brush and go! My best friend wears an awful lot of mascara and it actually really suits her- there just isn't a right or wrong way to do it :)
      Ps I always picture you with gloriously long lashes xxx

      Delete
  2. Brilliant post! I tried out eyeliner and mascara when I was 13, and it just made my eyes hurt as they're overly sensitive so I stayed away from all types of make-up until I was almost 17! I'm a base make-up person, and it's not about being shallow, it's something that makes me feel good and allows me to pamper myself. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst mine aren't sensitive, i did manage to poke myself in the eye with a mascara wand one too many times and used to not bother with the hassle.
      It's definitely not about being shallow, it's about taste, style, expression and personality! Things that we all embrace on a multitude of platforms.
      xxxx

      Delete
  3. This is brilliant, completely empathise with your view of the 'plastics'... I completely shied away from foundation completely for years out of fear I'd end up resembling something out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I still would never consider myself an expert in make up by any stretch but at least I've now got the confidence to apply it without horrific, streaky consequences. And I must admit, I do love going to the make up counters in department stores and getting them to try out loads of things on me if I need a little pick me up. There's nothing wrong with being a bit shallow every once in a while...
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Oh gosh me too, I still have supreme consiousness about my jaw line & that horrific tidemark. I now use a super pale foundation all over my face and then work in a a shade darker over my nose and cheeks just to darken it up.
      Nothing beats the pleasure of standing at a beauty counter does it? Imagine if clothes shops were like that, everything laid out and organised and then some pretty girl just tells you what you need to buy. Bliss.

      Delete
  4. The plastics at my school nicknamed themselves "the Barbies" and all had Barbie names ie the short one was Skipper (Barbie's little sister and the one with olive skin was Theresa- the black Barie!!) they all had babies in their early twenties and actually brought their kids to our ten year reunion a few weeks ago. Some things are just universal!

    I'm trying to play around with make-up a bit more. Not very confident with it. My Mum never wore make-up so it really wasn't an issue for me growing up. Getting a lot of tips from blogs now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, the plastics in my school called themselves the chicks 'mummy chick' 'daddy chick' 'happy chick' until mean girls was released and then they rebranded as the plastics...!
      Defintely have a play around a bit, it's not all about changing the way you look but it is something that gives you time to focus on you. Very soothing. x

      Delete
  5. I was the same way dear! I rarely ever wore makeup in high school... didn't even try liquid foundation until I was 21! Now I've developed a little obsession but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as your values aren't superficial! I'm glad I didn't wear makeup much makeup earlier because I feel like I have less tendency to "overdo it" now. And yes, I've always wondered WHY girls paint their lips with foundation?!? Great post :)

    x Ellie @ Ellalogy 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I know when I have too much on & how to use makeup to make it look like i'm not really wearing any- very important I think! xx

      Delete
  6. Love this post. I was shy in school too, but not anymore! ha. Buying make-up is fun, so why not? And its no one else's business what you spend your money on anyways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very good point Abbey, I hate that people like to know the goings on of others bank accounts x

      Delete
  7. Hi Poppy, I've nominated you for a Liebster award- details in this blog post if you would like to check it out http://ducklovesrooster.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/sweet-things-liebster-award.html take care, George

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah what a lovely post! I try to look past the pretty packaging but I'm a succkAH for benefit makeup

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Me too, Benefit had the best packaging x

      Delete
  9. I always love reading your posts! I have a question for you thought that I have been desperately trying to figure out. How do you make your Instagram posts? Is there a sneaky trick to get your pictures to go side by side? xx

    http://wearepinkpeople.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenna,

      What a lovely compliment, thank you! I'm glad that you like what i'm doing.

      There is a sneaky trick that I use: http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php all you have to do is upload all the photos there, pic the layout you want & then simply save it :)

      I'll pop over to your blog & give you the info there as well xxxx

      Delete

Drop me a comment, I don't bite!