Sunday, 29 July 2012

What I'm listening to.

I can pretty much pin point all the events in the last 7 years of my life around what I was listening to, who I was manically saving up to see, who I was losing myself in a crowd for and who I was connecting to lyrically. There is a box in my room which is literally stuffed full of old gig tickets, most peoples memory boxes are filled with photos, momentos and cute notes... mine is just full of old ticket stubs. I can't tell you how many bands I have seen or how many gigs I have been to- just how vital they have been to me as a person and how they have helped me develop into the person I am today. 

I say this because I want to clarify how important music has been to me. I took a trip down memory lane and read some of my old posts- the lack of musical posts really struck me. Something that is so important, is lacking. So i'm introducing a new element into this- The what I am listening to. 

ALBUMS. 

Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever ago.
  - This is the Debut Album from Bon Iver and was released in 2007. I hadn't listened to it in such a long time, but recently I just can't turn it off. It is full of heart break, emotion and a raw energy that speaks straight to this girls heart and I may not be the Emma he is singing for- but it feels like it and that to me is the mark of an incredible record. It may be a golden oldie but it has a very special place in my heart. 
I rate it: 5/5 
Highlight: Skinny Love (Birdie covered this!!).








Alex Clare- Lateness of the Hour
- I hope that this has made it way on to everyones musical radar. It is the debut album, released last year and in the last few months has really made its mark. 
Firstly I must say he has the most beautiful voice- I could listen to it all day, he is lyrically clever and draws on a range of genres from soul and R&B to crashing old school rock with a twist of D&B thrown in. It is an eclectic mix and it creates the smoothest dance songs I have possibly ever heard in my life. 
I rate it: 4/5 (I look forward to seeing what else he can do) 
Highlight: Hummingbird. 






Coldplay- Mylo Xyloto
 This is probably one of my favourite albums of all time, I've never been a massive Coldplay fan (my dad adores them though) But from the first listen I was hooked. It's beautiful, it's soulful, it's magnificent. I could listen to this album for my whole life and keep finding new elements to fall in love with. Interestingly, it is a concept album that is currently being produced into a series of comic books- I can't wait to get my hands on them. 
I rate it: 5/5 
Highlights: Charlie Brown, Paradise, Princess of china.. all of it!







The Gaslight Anthem- Handwritten. 
A brand new album, Handwritten was only out last week.The Gaslight Anthem captured my attention in 2008 and hasn't lost it since then. To me, they sound like downtown America, the heat.. the streets... the patriotic nation. Sitting in porches, listening to soul on an old radio and reading To Kill A Mockingbird outloud. This is The Gaslight Anthem. They bring back a time gone by in a lovely modern way. I think they have a quality that draws in a large audience and regardless of your musical tastes they are one to listen to. 
As it was only out last week, I'm not going to rate it!! 




SONGS

Jessie J and David Guetta- Laserlight
-I can't stop listening to this. I have it on in the car, on my iPad, going to sleep and right now!! I absolutely adore Jessie J, I wish I was her. She is my absolute favourite lady and I think her voice is incredible. Similarly I love David G- what an absolute legend. The two of them have produced a spectacular fusion of drop down beats, heady chorus and an all around bum shaker of a song. If this won't get you on the dancefloor, get out of the club because quite frankly you don't deserve to be there. 
I rate it: 5/5. 







Conor Maynard- Vegas Girl. 

- What an absolute guilty pleasure of a song. It's technically a bit rubbish: no stand alone beat; no incredible musical addition; no real content to the lyrics. It's generic pop music and no doubt the world will have forgotten this song in a few months. However at the moment it's a bit unavoidable and I love it. I have no idea why, maybe I really want to be a vegas girl- who knows! Unfortunately he is a bit Beiberish and maybe I should put the record down and walk away. 
I rate it 2/5 (but 5/5 for effort!)






Maroon 5- Payphone.
This song has made up for the ear raping Moves Like Jagger gave me and whilst I still haven't forgiven them for that piece of shit- this is just brilliant. It's ultimately a breakup song but rather than being a "Someone Like You" (Adele)... It's basic message is FUCK YOU. which is just... perfect. I love it. It's very reminisant of their early style and show cases Adam Levines adorabley unique voice. This is the catchy kind of song I want from Maroon 5!
I rate it: 4/5 (after moves like jagger ruined my life they still don't deserve full marks!)







Frank Turner- I Am Dissapeared 
 - Franky T! If my bestest girl, Jess is reading this I know she'll be with me on this one. Frank is just an absolute babe and I adore him. He's oddly attractive in a "i'm not sure if I should fancy you... but I really do" kind of way. He really does produce the kinds of songs that speak straight to my heart and I'm pretty sure He follows me around taking notes because his songs just have to be about me! This song is all about running away and is in his usual mash up of rock and folk. Please never stop singing Frank. 
I rate it 5/5.






 Calvin Harris and Example- We'll Be Coming Back
- The influences of both of Calvin Harris and Example are both very evident in the song and the collaboration works very well as they have similar, yet distinct styles. Example is quite possibly my favourite dance artist, everything he does captures my attention. Calvin Harris was never my favourite when his main focus was singing, yet everything he produces is spectacular and his talent definitely lies here. This song builds up from single notes to complicated break downs in the chorus- There is about 6 different layers. Incredible. 
I rate it 4/5 (do more together!


So thats what I haven't stopped listening to this week- what delights have been taking your fancy? Is there anything you think I should listen to? Is there something i've been listening to that you're now going to? or something you can't believe I like? 





2 comments:

  1. YES! to most o

    f the above - especially TGA and Frank Turner. Not so fond of Maroon 5: I used to absolutely ADORE them but I just can't listen to them anymore. I adore Songs about Jane but all the records which followed were just a bit 'meh'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah Songs About Jane was such an incredible album, I used to listen to it and pretend he was singing about me (when I was like 13, so I think I am forgiven for that one). They have never quite managed to match up to the quality of that- the problem with having a good first album. I do like Payphone but it isn't going to be one of the great loves in my life Xo

      Delete

Drop me a comment, I don't bite!